The one slight problem with this is that you can only load a small amount of cannabis at any one time. If you don’t have a pen, an empty soda can will do just as well.
The steamroller is another popular choice of improvised weed pipe. All you require is a cardboard toilet roll and some tin foil. Cut a hole in the top of the roll and then create a bowl with a small amount of foil that has been pierced with a pin in several places. You can light up without burning the card and draw from the open end while covering the other.
All you need is something with the pipe principles – a heat resistant place to load the cannabis and a tube to suck on to get the smoke into your lungs. Whether you are at a party or out in the wilds, search around and you should be able to find something that is going to work. And the great thing about using fruit is that you can always eat it afterwards!
- First you need a bucket or sink of water.
- Take an empty plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it.
- Fashion a bowl out of tin foil with some holes and fix this onto the neck.
- Load up your cannabis and then place the cut base in the water almost up to the neck.
- Light your buds and move the bottle slowly up without coming out of the water.
Make a shallow dent in the side to form a small bowl and then use a pin to make a few holes in this area. Load your buds in the dent and then use the empty tab opening to take a draw. The advantage of this method over the pen is that you are less likely to get hot smoke burning your lips and can get a stronger draw.
If you don’t want to suck on the apple, you can insert something like an empty pen as a mouthpiece but most people don’t bother.
- Apple: Still the most popular choice but a lot depends on whether you’ve got a healthily stocked kitchen. Fruit can also add some extra flavor to your cannabis which is why making weed pipes is such a hit at parties.
- Honeydew Melon: Avoid watermelons because they’re a bit too mushy. Cantaloupes are also a good choice. You can also introduce multiple access points because of the size of the melon.
- Pineapple: With a hard exterior, the pineapple is actually a pretty sturdy choice for a weed pipe. You can create a large bowl and again add multiple pipes for everyone to enjoy. It can get a little sticky, however.
- Jalapeno: Medium size chilies and peppers are good, quick options for weed pipes and you may even get a nice chili hit into the bargain. The smaller varieties can be more than a little fiddly. Larger peppers also work pretty well.
- Squash: These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. If you’ve never tried smoking cannabis out of a pumpkin at Halloween, you’ve never lived. The harder flesh means you need to put in a little more work but it creates a stable weed pipe that will last most of the evening.
- Cucumber: If you want to be cool as cucumber, you can. The waxy skin keeps everything together and stops the inside juice from getting all over your hands.
Make sure you know what it contained. Don’t just pick up the first thing you see lying around and turn it into a weed pipe. Ideally, you should use a delivery vessel that has been specially designed for use with cannabis. A commercially made weed pipe will give you a better experience and will do your cannabis justice. They’re designed to control the burn, enhance the flavour and produce a steady delivery. Find one if you can. These suggestions are for when you have absolutely have no other choice.
You’ll see the smoke fill the bottle. Once you have enough, remove the bud bowl and draw in the vapor into your lungs by moving the bottle back down into the water again. It takes some coordination but works pretty well.
Pipes, bongs, vapers and even fruit have been used to deliver that impromptu cannabis hit over the years. But what happens if you suddenly find yourself with some buds but nothing to smoke it with? The good news is that weed pipes can be made out of a whole bunch of stuff you may have lying arou …
You never know when there might come a time where all you have is your bud and nothing to smoke out of. These are hard times for every stoner. It’s always handy to know what other options you might find around the house.
Whether you make your pipe from a soda can or piece of fruit, you’ll want a pipe screen to use with it. If you smoke your weed without a screen, it could be quite an unpleasant experience. A screen keeps the loose bits in your pipe instead of in your mouth, so you can enjoy hitting your bong much more!
There is really no “best” type of screen—what’s most important is that it fits snugly into your bowl. You know your screen fits if it doesn’t pop out after pressing it down into your bowl. The rest, whether you prefer steel, brass, or glass screens, is up to you.
A tried and true method is to take a piece of aluminium foil and poke some holes into it with a toothpick. Form the foil into a suitable-sized screen, and place it into the bowl just like you would an ordinary screen. No worries, the aluminium foil won’t melt when you’re smoking. That said, such a DIY screen may only last one or two sessions before losing its integrity.
Glass pipe screens are normally made from a special, heavy-duty type of glass called borosilicate. This heat-resistant type of glass won’t crack from changes in temperature, and won’t shatter as easily as regular glassware. Obviously, screens made from glass are not flexible, so you can’t cut them to size. As such, you need to make sure you get the right size for your bowl. As glass doesn’t wear out, these screens can, in principle, last forever; that is, if you don’t break or lose them.
The options are endless, try out some and choose your favourites.
• Brass screens
Steel screens are often used in silicone bongs and acrylic bongs, although the latter can easily be scratched with these screens. They work just like brass screens, and there is no difference in taste. In fact, aside from their colour, the main difference between these two materials is that steel is more durable.
Because steel screens are not as malleable as brass, fitting them into odd-shaped bowls can be a little more finicky.
It's 3am and you finally finished that paper. There's not a place open and you still want that smoke before bed. We have the solution for you!