Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Dogs? Be very careful when using chemicals around your pets. If your dog eats fertilizer they'll get sick. Is Weed And Feed Toxic To Dogs And Cats? Re-post – Spring is here and we are thinking about all of the outside work that needs done. Mr. TAL and I have a long list and are looking forward to
Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Dogs?
You love your dog and are concerned about substances that may harm them. If you use Scotts Turf Builder for your grass, then it’s only natural to do some research and try to figure out whether the products can harm your pet. If this is why you are here, then I can assure you that you’ve come to the right place and will be provided with all the important information you may need.
Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Dogs?
Scotts turf is safe for dogs as long as you use it according to the instructions specified on the label. For instance, the instructions indicate that your dog can play with, eat, or chew on treated areas once they are totally dry. Note: You should be extremely cautious about letting your dog out in treated areas if you decide to water them right after treatment.
Why is Scotts Turf Builder harmful to dogs?
Scotts turf builder contains iron, a substance that’s harmful to dogs, especially when it’s consumed in large quantities. Ensure that the granules do not come into direct contact with wet surfaces. Instead, store them safely and keep them away from the reach of pets and children.
After fertilizing your lawn, you should limit its usage by dogs, pets, and children for 24 to 72 hours. You can let your pets and children play in the lawn after a period of 48 to 72 hours has passed, and the fertilizer has been assimilated into the soil.
Can lawn fertilizer make dogs sick?
While commercial fertilizer is nutritious for plants, it contains harmful chemicals that are toxic to dogs, plants, and other animals. Using commercial fertilizer means there is a chance that your dog may consume the chemicals by accident if they are left unsupervised.
Dogs that are allowed to play in the grass and groom themselves afterwards are also more at risk of ingesting the chemicals. Thus, the best preventative measure is to bar your dog from playing in freshly treated grass and bathing them if they manage to sneak out.
What if your dog ate lawn fertilizer?
If your dog shows these symptoms, then it means that it ate fertilizer. Your dog may show mild or serious symptoms depending on the amount of fertilizer ingested. One mild symptom your dog may show is an upset stomach.
More serious symptoms include breathing difficulties and vomiting. Ingesting fertilizer could also lead to ulcerations that burn in your dog’s intestinal tract. It’s difficult to know for sure what amount of fertilizer your dog ingests.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested fertilizer and is acting sick, and you have recently used the product in your garden, then you have to take it to the pet as soon as you can. Not doing this may have disastrous consequences.
How much lawn fertilizer can make your dog sick?
Fertilizer is harmful to your dog in any amount. However, large amounts are more dangerous than small amounts. Four 0.5 grams per kg may result in vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea, and lethargy, whereas four > 0.5 grams per kg may result in impaction or constipation.
Research concluded that dogs that were exposed to lawn chemicals had traces of herbicides in their urine. Other studies also noted that dogs that were exposed to lawns treated with herbicides had a higher risk of getting bladder cancer.
Can dogs walk on fertilized lawns?
Your dog shouldn’t walk or play on a fertilized lawn unless it’s after 24 hours. Dogs love grooming themselves every once in a while, and allowing your dog to walk on a recently fertilized lawn puts them at risk of ingesting the dangerous contents any time they choose to self groom.
Keep your dog indoors when fertilizing the lawn to prevent them from licking the fertilizer granules. Water your lawn immediately to help the fertilizer soak into the ground quickly. This helps reduce the amount of time you need to keep your pets off the lawn.
Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Dogs?: Conclusion
It’s important that you limit your dog’s access to lawns treated with Scotts Turf Builder or any other fertilizer for the length of time stated on the label. Take extra precautions and wash your dog if they manage to get out onto the lawn to prevent them from accidentally ingesting the herbicides when self-grooming.
Is Weed And Feed Toxic To Dogs And Cats?
Re-post – Spring is here and we are thinking about all of the outside work that needs done. Mr. TAL and I have a long list and are looking forward to cooking out on the grill, sitting on our patio with the dogs, and looking out over our well maintained property. This post has been my top read and shared post for the last two years and I hope you find it helpful. Rest assured that Jake and Maggie are safe and can run and play in the yard without getting sick!
Happy Wednesday everyone! Hope you are all having a great week so far! Today I’d like to talk about weed and feed for lawns. Yes, I know…might be boring but so important. Have you ever stood back and compared your lawn to your neighbors? I admit that I have. Our association requires us to professionally treat our front lawns and up both sides of our house to the back half way. We own almost an acre and the treatment stops at the end of our patio. Then the weeds start and it looks so terrible. It’s like dandelion city back there while our neighbors just built a house and put in a fresh beautiful lawn.
So, I went to Walmart and grabbed a bag of weed and feed by Scott’s. The first question Thomas asked me is if it was toxic to dogs and I literally felt anxious because I thought about every other time I had used weed killer when I had my other three dogs and might have harmed them using a product the wrong way. The good news is that I bought Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3 which is non-toxic to pets if directions on the bag are followed. Just to be safe…We made a plan to only treat parts of the lawn at a time so that Jake and Maggie were not walking on something that could make them very ill. Now the yard looks amazing but I’m putting out this post (although late in the summer) for anyone who wants to know more about the dangers of treating your lawn when you have pets and for reference next summer!
Jake and Maggie enjoyed the weekend by swimming in Aunt Carla’s pool :-).
What an awesome feeling to see my two babies enjoying themselves splashing in the pool. These two are like fishes! Thanks Aunt Carla and Uncle John for having all of us over for swims and pizza :-).
The term “weed and feed” refers to lawn care products that contain a combination of fertilizer and herbicides. Most of the products available in stores contain chemicals and can hurt your pet if they get the toxins on their fur or paws and then lick themselves.
NPIC (National Pesticide Information Center) fact sheets are designed to answer questions that are commonly asked by the general public about pesticides that are regulated by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA). This document is intended to be educational in nature and helpful to consumers for making decisions about pesticide use. Call the National Pesticide Information Center at 1-800-858-7378 for more information.