by Sirius Fourside
- (Old School) Manual Method: Using a spoon or rubber spatula and hand mixing for a while.
- Pros: Cheapest method, needs the least amount of tools.
- Cons: The most physical work and the least efficient.
- Mixer Method: Using a hand mixer with beaters attached, or a hand drill with a paint-mixer or similar tool attached.
- Pros: Many people have most of the tools needed. This method is much easier then hand-mixing and more efficient.
- Cons: Still need a drill or mixer plus a good mixing attachment that’s also long.
- A hash-washing machine (mini washing machines)
- Pros: Easiest method since you don’t have to mix. Also, the most efficient method since all the material is constantly mixed while the machine is on.
- Cons: High initial cost since you have to buy the machine (
Making hash with a drill, mixer or by hand-mixing is the same process as with a washing machine. The only difference is that you will agitate everything with a power tool (or by hand) and pre-filter your hash-water with a 220-micron bag before filtering out your hash.
Don’t have a washer? Want to make bubble hash by hand? Learn how below!
Bubble hash refers to collecting hash from your weed (or trim) by submerging the weed in ice-cold water and agitating it. This causes trichomes to break off so you can collect them.
Alright, let’s make some bubble hash!
Here’s a short video of a washer in action
The cornerstone of making bubble hash is mixing up your weed, water and ice. All three of these methods produce the same quality of bubble hash. It’s the efficiency and amount of work that varies.
Table of Contents
Bubble hash is made by putting weed (or trim) in ice-cold water and agitating it. This causes trichomes to break off the cannabis so you can collect them.
We’ll make sure you get set up with the all the information you need, but first, let’s start things off with a picture of what we collected in under 15 minutes total!
Pretty big statement right? It’s even bigger when you consider how seriously people take hashish in today’s world!
Alright, enough background and quotes, let’s get started!
- Make sure you work in a well-ventilated area.
- Dry ice turns directly into CO2 gas. Although it’s a small amount of CO2 and doesn’t really pose a threat to you, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Don’t put dry ice in an airtight container.
- Dry ice turns into gas which will pressurize the container it’s in. Eventually, you’ll get a top shooting off unexpectedly, or worse, an exploding container!
- Don’t touch dry ice with your bare hands
- Dry ice measures -190.3°F at its warmest. It won’t kill you to grab it, but it’s no fun to get freezer burn either.
- Dispose of dry ice safely
- If you put dry ice down your sink or toilet, you could freeze your water pipes and end up with a massive repair bill. When you’re done with dry ice, just leave it in a well-ventilated area and it’ll simply turn into gas and leave.
If you’re going to do just one extraction, I personally would do the 120 (more pure) or 160 (more yield) Micron bags by themselves.
- Dump your (ground up) cannabis and dry ice into the 5-gallon bucket.
- Take the size 73 hash/bubble/pollen bag and fit it over the opening of the bucket, then shake and swirl the bucket around for 3-4 minutes. The process of shaking the cannabis around with dry ice freezes the resin so it starts breaking off from the cannabis and is more easily collected.
- Turn the bucket upside-down, emptying both the dry ice and cannabis into the hash bag, with the mesh side facing down.
- Shake the bag over a clean flat surface.This will cause resin to sift through the mesh part of the bag and fall out onto the surface like it’s raining resin! Keep shaking until you don’t see any resin falling out or you just can’t shake anymore 🙂
- Use your scraper to collect the newly fallen resin into a pile and transfer it into a container of your choice.
- Dump the cannabis and dry ice back into the bucket and repeat steps 2-5 with the size 160 pollen bag. Then again with the 220 bag.
Closeup of 73 Micron hash (most pure – just trichomes)
We’ll be showing you how to make dry ice hash using hash bags of the following sizes: 73, 160, and 220. Here’s why we picked these sizes:
You’ve got your materials together and you know how to handle dry ice… let’s have some fun!
How To Make Dry Ice Hash from Buds/Trim Let’s get straight to it: Making hash with dry ice is the easiest, fastest, and (more importantly) the most efficient means of extracting resin