8. Turn the lights on for about a few hours a day. After 3 to 7 day’s, you will see the first few signs of the marijuana plant. The lamp should be at least an inch above the topmost portion of the young cannabis plant in order to avoid burning its leaves.
7. Place the pots with the marijuana seeds under a fluorescent lamp and give it a little bit of water every day.
6. Make a little hole in the soil. Holes with half an inch deep are suffice. Plant the marijuana seed with its root facing the hole. Cover the hole with some soil and give it a little bit of water. Make sure the marijuana seeds are still covered with soil after you water them.
The importance of germinating cannabis seeds is high. If seeds become to wet or too dry you can toss them away. So please, in order to germinate your marijuana seeds follow the instructions. The basics that you need are as follow:
3. Open the plate’s only once a day just to have a look. Take note of a tiny white root tip starting to emerge from the marijuana seed. Some cannabis seeds will sprout in a day, while others need a week before they crack open.
1. Place the seed between some dampened pieces of paper towel. It’s highly recommended to use distilled water to germinate your marijuana seeds.
9. After 3 to 4 weeks, the marijuana plant should be about 4 inches high and thus big enough to be transferred to a bigger pot. If the temperature allows it, you can now put them outside or place them in your indoor growing room.
5. Once the root has come out of the marijuana seed, you have to put the cannabis seeds in a small pot filled with soil.
4. Ensure that the towel will not dry out. Put a little bit of water over it every three days.
Germinating your weed seeds correctly means a great start to your growing progress. Read our 9 step "HOW TO" for germination succes, every time!
Note: be careful with leaving the seeds in the water for more than 36 hours. If you do that, seeds can get a lack of oxygen, drown and rot.
- Drop the cannabis seeds in a cup with lukewarm water and place the cup in a dark room for 18 to 36 hours. Wait until the seeds start to crack a bit before you apply the paper towel method.
- Put two layers of paper towel on a plate and spray the paper wet with a plant spray.
- Pour your seeds carefully on the wet paper towel, place a new paper towel over it and spray the paper wet. Make sure that the seeds are in contact with the wet paper towels.
- Take another plate and place it upside down on the plate with the seeds so that you create a dark space. However, do not exactly align the edges of the plates. The seeds need oxygen to germinate. Check every 5 to 8 hours if the paper towel has not dried out and spray water again if necessary.
- Check after 24 hours if the seeds have germinated. If not just let them germinate for another 24 hours. Note: some seeds need 48 to 72 hours to germinate but it can even take 168 hours (7 days). Patience is therefore required.
The germination process of cannabis seeds with the paper towel method consists of 5 simple steps. Here’s a short summary:
A germination process lasts on average between 24 – 48 hours. After 24 hours you can do your first check by carefully removing the top layer of kitchen paper. The sprouted seeds with a root of 1 to 1.5 cm have to be planted directly.
Note: Be very careful when the seeds germinate. Avoid poking, pulling or touching the seeds with bare hands. You don’t want to damage the roots.
Ready to germinate your seeds? Let us guide you through!
- Cannabis seeds
- Paper towel
- Two ceramic plates with the same size
- Plant spray
- Drinking cup (glass)
To sprout your cannabis seeds, the seeds must be in a dark environment.
Note: try to place the seeds in place with as little contact as possible. The less you touch the seeds, the smaller the chance of damage. Besides, never touch the roots.
Wondering how to germinate weed seeds? Check the best way to sprout cannabis seeds here! A helpful step-by-step guide for a successful germination!