CBD gummies may help with your pain, inflammation, sleep problems, or reactions to stressors. This makes them a great choice for first-timers Are you skeptical about taking CBD gummies? Find out how long they take to work and how long they last with this complete guide. CBD edibles are processed in the digestive system before being absorbed into the bloodstream. Hence, they need more time to kick in. This article breaks down the time it takes for the effects of CBD edibles to start working — and their duration.
How Long Do CBD Gummies Last?
aEven though CBD gummies come in playful colors and varieties, they certainly still live up to the promise of CBD. CBD gummies can be as powerful as CBD oils and other CBD products; they may help with your pain, inflammation, sleep problems, or reactions to stressors. This makes them a great choice for first-timers and experienced CBD consumers alike. So, if you want to ensure that your CBD gummies have lasting effects on your body, we have prepared an overview of everything you need to know about how CBD builds up in your system over time with CBD gummies!
What factors affect the effectiveness of CBD edibles?
Everyone will have a unique experience with CBD, even with how long CBD gummies take to start working. Your medical history, your lifestyle, your diet, and your CBD experience are just a few of so many factors that go into how your body processes CBD.
Body weight – CBD will affect each body differently. When using CBD gummies , effectiveness will depend on the consumer’s body weight. If we want the most from our CBD gummies, we’d want 0.2mg-0.7mg of CBD per pound of body weight.
CBD Dosing: When should I take CBD gummies?
The rule of thumb when taking any CBD product, or any consumer product, is to follow the instructions for use as provided by the manufacturer—or as your doctor has prescribed. You can easily find the recommended dosage on the label on the full-spectrum CBD oil gummies’ container. But for those who want to leverage more of the CBD effects, especially for the experienced ones, here are some strategies and precautions to help:
Take a CBD edible with high-fat meals. Having high-fat foods right before taking CBD edibles might help how long CBD gummies last in your body. Taking CBD on an empty stomach, as compared with a fatty meal or on a full stomach, lowers CBD absorption. When you eat something high fat when taking any CBD edible, you ensure the effects of CBD gummies last as long as possible.
How long before CBD gummies kick in?
CBD gummies, just like any supplement, can take quite some time for you to notice a difference. This could range from hours to even days, depending on what you’re trying to target with the CBD gummies. For more information, let’s get to the science of it!
- Methods of consumption . To immediately feel the potential of a CBD edible, they should be broken down, aka metabolized, by your body efficiently. As soon as CBD breaks down in the digestive tract, parts of it may travel throughout the body, and thus to the localized health issues.
Full-spectrum CBD gummies’ immediate effects. CBD edibles may have significant effects (e.g., instant pain relief or the good night’s sleep you’re hoping for) in as quickly as 30 to 60 minutes. As for long-term effects, they can be felt in several weeks, depending on how regularly you’re taking the CBD gummies .
How long does CBD last in your system?
Cornbread Hemp CBD products have the potential to aid you in improving your quality of life today and in the far future, if this is what you are curious about! But if you’re asking how long does CBD stay active in your system, to give you that needed relief from a symptom or just to be sure you will not be in trouble for some random drug test at your work, then we offer you some enlightenment:
How long do the effects of CBD gummies last? The factors that affect how long CBD builds up in your system over time also affect how long do CBD gummies last in your system. You may benefit from CBD’s effects for two hours to eight hours depending on your body weight, lifestyle, and other more factors (as mentioned in the first section of this article). However, from a single pop of Cornbread Hemp gummy, aside from hours of relief, the CBD gummies’ cannabinoid profile and other premium ingredients also have the potential to aid in health conditions in the long term.
How do I make sure my CBD oil gummies are effective?
Always do your research before purchasing your first CBD gummies. As much as possible, you don’t want to be switching from one brand to another all the time. You might be better sticking to just one, the most effective one. Here’s what you need to check before buying the best CBD gummies out there:
Go for Flower-Only™ full-spectrum CBD gummies. Not everyone knows, but mature hemp flowers have the most outstanding cannabis profile, with high amounts of CBD and other cannabinoids. Cornbread Hemp only uses the whole flower of the hemp—not the hemp stem or hemp leaves which are full of bad-tasting and nutritionally empty chlorophyll—when manufacturing full-spectrum CBD edibles and other CBD products. This means you get more out of your CBD gummies and it may last longer in your body.
Other things to consider about CBD gummies
- CBD gummies won’t make you high. It’s easy to determine if the THC from a cannabis product already has kicked in, as you get that “high” feeling. As for CBD, it’s tough to tell, as CBD doesn’t have psychoactive effects. You only have your pain-meter or a stress-meter as a metric for improvement.
Buy High-grade CBD Gummies
Getting the most potent gummies should be another top priority, aside from following the recommended daily dose, to ensure how long do CBD gummies last and to get the most effective CBD and other cannabinoids. A CBD product that is thoroughly extracted and manufactured can guarantee that your CBD experience is to the fullest! Cornbread Hemp is one of the reputable brands that provides high-grade full-spectrum CBD gummies. Our CBD gummies’ CBD and other cannabinoids are extracted from mature hemp flowers and are combined with other premium organic ingredients to certify that everything’s up to the highest of standards!
How Long Does it Take for CBD Gummies to Work and How Long Do They Last?
Home » Blog » How Long Does it Take for CBD Gummies to Work and How Long Do They Last?
CBD has made a grand entrance onto the scene in recent years considering its many health benefits, but it’s still relatively new. With products on the market including full spectrum CBD, broad spectrum CBD, CBD isolate, CBD tincture, and most recently, CBD oil gummies, the research is continuing to grow in a positive direction. Naturally, if you’re someone that loves gummies and wants to enter the CBD space, you might have a few questions:
- How long for CBD gummies to kick in?
- When and how often should I take them?
- How long do CBD gummies last?
- Will it stay in my system for long?
- And maybe even, do CBD gummies work at all?
There are many factors to consider, and your questions may not have the perfectly straightforward answer you’d like-your body chemistry is unlike anyone else’s. But that doesn’t mean you can’t equip yourself with the proper knowledge to understand how CBD edible gummies work and what to expect.
- Gummies are a type of ingested edible that has to move through the digestive system before taking effect; this means they typically take longer to start working but longer to wear off, too.
- Several factors impact how long it takes before your CBD gummy kicks in, including body weight, metabolism, and recent meals.
- CBD doesn’t provide the same “high” feeling as THC, so it may be hard to tell precisely when it starts working. Be patient, and up your dosage as needed.
How Long Does CBD Gummies Take to Work?
CBD is a hemp plant extract associated with many benefits, such as enhanced muscle recovery, increased relaxation, improved pain management. There are many ways to use CBD products, with different absorption times for each method. No matter how you consume your CBD content, the active ingredients eventually make their way into the bloodstream-it’s only a matter of time (literally):
- Edibles – CBD oil gummies are a type of edible, just like CBD oil-infused brownies or lollipops and lozenges. There is a difference, however, in how you consume the CBD edible:
- Ingested – Chewable edibles can take longer to come into effect. They have to go all the way through the digestive system, into the liver (where the CBD concentration is somewhat reduced by the liver’s enzymes ), before finally entering the bloodstream and subsequently taking effect. This process can span 30, 60, and even 90+ minutes, depending on other factors.
- Absorbed sublingually – Lollipops, gum, and lozenges are edibles that you don’t swallow. Instead, they take a much shorter path to the bloodstream: through the mucus membranes in your mouth, specifically through the blood vessels under your tongue. This direct route typically allows the CBD product to produce results quicker.
- Tinctures – CBD oil tincture is often administered sublingually-under the tongue-as well. You can also choose to swallow it, but this roundabout route will take longer, as with edibles.
- Topical creams – This localized method of absorption is for acute aches and pains in certain body parts. The skin receptors usually have a low absorption rate, so creams can take up to an hour and a half for peak effectiveness and should be used abundantly.
- CBD vape pen or pre-rolls – Inhalation is another speedy delivery method, because the CBD concentration goes straight into the lungs, which have a direct line to the bloodstream. You may feel the effects as soon as a few minutes later.
Different CBD products, from topical CBD to CBD edibles and CBD gummies, can be used in different ways and therefore, work differently. So, how long does it take for CBD gummies to work, specifically? Generally speaking, taking your CBD gummy about one hour before you want the effects to kick in is a safe bet. However, you may notice the impact a little sooner. It typically comes down to the user.
Additionally, the exact time frame depends on a few factors (plus a couple of unknown variables):
- Empty or full stomach – Your CBD gummy has to be fully digested and absorbed before you’ll notice any benefits. If your stomach is full of non-CBD foods, the digestive system must work harder and longer before it breaks everything down. On an empty stomach, however, your CBD gummy is the only thing to dissolve.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism is a set of invaluable bodily processes, including converting food to proteins, acids, carbohydrates, and energy for your cells to function. In this case, your CBD gummy is one of the many things that your body breaks down. With a faster metabolism, you’ll more quickly absorb the CBD properties of your edible.
- Body composition – Your body is full of variable factors that can influence how you process and absorb CBD extract. This includes:
- Bodyweight and mass – Heavier people often require more CBD extract to feel the same effects. In turn, it takes longer to process this higher CBD concentration.
- Habitual medications – Certain prescription drugs can alter the speed with which your body digests substances, CBD infused gummies included.
- Digestive enzymes – Gastric enzymes are responsible for breaking down the food you ingest, which helps your body absorb the nutrients. Their speed and efficiency may be affected by certain stimuli, such as high stress.
It’s hard to give a precise answer about how long gummies take to start working with so many factors to consider. Your friend may feel the effects after only 30 minutes, while you don’t notice a thing until almost two hours later.
Over time, you’ll start to notice what your “average” looks like and how some of these variables might increase or decrease that typical absorption speed.
Important note : CBD doesn’t provide the same “high” or “stoned” feeling as THC, so it can be a little tougher to determine exactly when the effects kick in. You may be wondering, “ How many CBD gummies should I eat? ”. If you’re still not sure whether it’s working after several hours, you may want to consider upping your dosage next time around-remember to start small and build up slowly to avoid any potential side effects.
Also, should you have any concerns, it’s wise to consult your doctor prior to adding CBD into your wellness routine.
How Long Does CBD Gummies Last?
Your body is a complex, unique organism. The same factors that affect your CBD gummies’ onset will also affect the duration of experienced benefits.
Again, it’s different for everyone, but here are a few noticeable variables that may impact how long you get to enjoy your gummies:
- Body composition & exercise – CBD is a fat-soluble compound, meaning we store a portion of it in our fat cells. It takes longer for people with a higher percentage of body fat to flush their system completely. Intense, fat-burning exercise may expedite the process.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism affects both how long a CBD gummy will last and how long it takes to kick in, in a similar but somewhat inverse way:
- If your metabolism works quickly , you’ll likely feel the effects sooner, but they’ll be more short-lived. Your body will flush the CBD out of your system faster—early onset, earlier fade out.
- If you have a slower metabolism, your body needs more time to process and break down the components. The CBD might take longer to come into effect but also longer to go out of effect.
How Long Will CBD Last in My System?
Even after the effects have worn off, the CBD may still be in your system. The same is true of many substances that you ingest.
This is because of CBD’s half-life. All substances and compounds have a unique half-life, which is the time it takes for the body to eliminate half of the initial concentration. Researchers and scientists have not yet been able to nail down the exact half-life of CBD, but estimates hover around a day or more-some say 18-32 hours, others claim one or two days.
Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that CBD’s half-life is 24 hours. Here’s what would happen in your body after a single dose of 100 mg CBD product:
- Immediately upon consumption: 100 mg
- 24 hours after consumption: 50 mg
- 48 hours after consumption: 25 mg
- 72 hours after consumption: 12.5 mg
- And so on, at this same rate
There’s no definitive answer, but a lot of sources point to the same approximate conclusion: CBD likely remains in your system for about five days or more, in decreasing concentrations. Does CBD show up on a drug test?
When Should I Take My CBD Gummies?
As you can probably guess, there’s no one-time-fits-all recommendation for CBD users. Some CBD users pop in a few each morning; others take their CBD gummies a couple of hours before bedtime-this depends on how long it takes for them to kick in, how long they last, and, in part, on why you’re using CBD in the first place:
- Energy and focus – If CBD helps you feel rejuvenated and in high spirits, a gummy or two first thing in the morning will set you up for a good day. If you feel the effects start to wear off midday, you may want to split your dosage half-and-half between the morning and afternoon for a consistent, prolonged result. Taking it too late in the day may, however, result in overstimulation at bedtime.
- Restful nighttime sleep – If you become drowsy and relaxed with CBD, ingest your gummies a couple of hours before you intend to sleep. Two hours should be enough time, but if you find the effects work quickly on you, take them closer to bedtime. The CBD should be out of your system by morning, giving you a good night’s sleep without any morning-after grogginess.
- Aches and strains – As a top tier athlete who needs to soothe their aching muscles while on the go, try taking your CBD gummies spread throughout the day for more consistent relief. If you feel especially roused or restless, take them earlier rather than later.
Find Your Rhythm with Resilience CBD
Everyone’s different. On the one hand, individuality and uniqueness are wonderful; on the other, it makes it a little bit harder to decide when to take your CBD gummies.
This guide can help you make informed decisions about when to schedule your daily doses, but it’s all a matter of trial and error at the end of the day.
Luckily, Resilience CBD gummies come in an easy-to-portion 10 mg concentration that you can take with you wherever. With such convenience, you can pop one in one of our company’s gummies on your way to a stressful meeting, after some hardcore endurance training at the gym, or when you get on the train at the end of a long day.
If it works for you, then it works!
Written by: Michael Tatz | Linkedin
Michael Tatz is the Co-Founder of Resilience CBD, and a passionate leader in the health & fitness world helping others rise to and crush their wildest goals. A former Division 1 college wrestler, Army Officer, and investment manager at Goldman Sachs, he has pushed his body and mind to the limits on the mats, dressed in camo, and in the boardroom.
Today, he spends his time leading Resilience CBD to develop the absolute best recovery products for athletes everywhere. Resilience was founded after CBD personally impacted Michael’s life, and the brand was built to partner with everyday athletes in pursuit of conquering their most difficult challenges, rebounding after their toughest performances, and rising to their goals that once seemed impossible.
How Long Does It Take for Edibles to Kick In & Last in the Body?
CBD edibles take a different route than CBD oil. The oil absorbs directly into your bloodstream through the mucous membranes in your mouth, while CBD edibles are first metabolized by the liver.
That’s why they need more time to kick in.
For those who don’t know, CBD edibles are just hemp-infused food that you can find in various forms, including gummies, brownies, honey sticks, protein bars, and more.
They’re much like the weed gummies — but without the high.
CBD edibles have been found to help with a lot of ailments, such as anxiety, pain, and sleep problems. They’re also easier to take and more enjoyable than oils.
Yes, they do need more time to kick in, but their effects also last longer (up to 12 hours).
Today we’ll cover the topic of CBD metabolism from roots to branches.
Why Are People using CBD Edibles?
As mentioned above, CBD edibles are a fun way to deliver the health benefits of CBD. If you like that relaxed state of mind and physical relaxation but you’re not a fan of the earthy taste of oils, edibles may be your go-to form of CBD.
Even though the research on the clinical benefits of CBD is in the early stage, there are hundreds of studies describing its high therapeutic versatility and excellent safety profile.
The best part about edibles is that they’re the healthiest form of consumption. We need food to thrive, so it’s natural for us to consume it, unlike with vapes or other novel products.
CBD edibles are also affordable, easy to dose, and very accessible. If you take them in the right dosage, they don’t come with any side effects, so it’s no wonder why they have become so popular recently.
Why do Edibles Have a Different Onset Time?
No two people are the same — and this applies to our body chemistry too.
That’s why types of CBD take time to kick in the body differently depending on how people consume it. In terms of taking CBD edibles, some may notice the effects after about 30 minutes, while others will even need 2 hours to feel the difference.
Since edibles are broken down in your digestive system, the way they are processed depends on your individual metabolic rate.
But generally speaking, CBD edibles usually need 30–90 minutes to kick in. That’s longer than with oils, which start acting within 15–30 minutes; or with vapes, where a person usually feels the effects after 5 minutes.
On a positive note, you can count on a longer duration. Since CBD is gradually released into the bloodstream, the effects are stretched in time — acting up to 12 hours.
Factors that Impact the Time it Takes for CBD Edibles to Kick In
There are several factors that can affect the time it takes for CBD edibles to kick in. Most of them are related to your lifestyle, including:
- Diet and eating habits
- Tolerance to cannabis
How Long Does It Take for CBD Edibles to Kick In?
Edibles typically take around 30 minutes to kick in. Sometimes, the onset may be delayed by another 30 minutes, up to 2 hours if you have a slow metabolic rate.
If your product contains fats, it may need less time to start acting because fats improve the absorption rate of cannabinoids. For a faster-acting effect, you may consider taking your CBD edibles on an empty stomach. This way, your body will metabolize it faster than it would if CBD competed with other compounds from your food.
The type of CBD edibles will determine their onset too.
For example, CBD gum, lozenges, and lollipops kick in faster because some of their CBD content is absorbed sublingually when you’re sucking on them. Sublingual absorption bypasses the first-pass metabolism in the liver, ensuring faster effects.
On the other hand, chewable edibles, such as gummies, cookies, or chocolates, may have a delayed onset because the absorption first happens in the digestive tract, from where the active ingredients enter the bloodstream and travel to the liver.
In the liver, CBD is metabolized, released back into the bloodstream, and sent to the brain — which is when edibles start to kick in.
How Long Do CBD Edibles Last?
The average duration of edibles is around 5–6 hours. That being said, it’s also the potency of CBD and your metabolism that decide how long the effects of CBD will stay with you. The products that are chewed will surely last longer than those that you absorb sublingually. In extreme cases, CBD edibles can last up to 12 hours.
Peak blood levels can occur around three hours after administration. This is where you should feel most relaxed and calm. However, it may not be possible to estimate how long the effects of edibles will last. A 2016 study that analyzed over a hundred thousand tweets about cannabis edibles concluded that an “unpredictable” duration was one of the most common side effects listed.
Common Forms of CBD Edibles
There are many forms of CBD edibles available, with new products coming onto the market every month. Common types of CBD-infused food include:
- Candy and sweets: gummies, lozenges, lollipops, hard candy, truffles, chocolate, fruit bars, marshmallows, chewing gum
- Baked goods: cookies, biscuits, waffles, and brownies
- Beverages: tea, iced tea, soda, energy drinks and shots, coffee, beer, wine, and cocktails
How Much CBD Should You Take?
Most CBD edibles describe the amount of CBD per serving on their labels. For instance, a single gummy usually contains 10 or 25 milligrams of CBD.
In some cases, the manufacturer lists the CBD content of the entire package. Using the gummy example, a jar may contain 300 mg of CBD. If the package contains 30 gummies, that’s 10 mg per gummy. This can be quite confusing with products like cookies or chocolate bars.
CBD Dosing (By Weight)
Since CBD is non-intoxicating, it won’t trigger mental discomfort such as anxiety or paranoia, unlike THC. Nevertheless, high doses may cause mild side effects, such as fatigue or changes in appetite.
The best way to start your journey with CBD edibles is to go with a small dose first, such as 5 or 10 mg, and work your way up to a dose that produces the desired effects.
A good CBD gummy dosage range for beginners is 1–5 mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight.
Since CBD can make you sleepy, it’s best to take lower doses in the morning and save higher doses for the evening until you understand how it affects your circadian rhythm.
Benefits of CBD Edibles
CBD-infused edibles are safer than smoking or vaping. Here’s why you may want to consider becoming a CBD foodie:
- No respiratory risk. When you smoke or vape CBD, this can irritate your lungs, not to mention that smoking also delivers harmful carcinogens to your body. Smoking can cause lung inflammation and bronchitis. Edibles don’t involve combustion and inhaling the smoke, so it doesn’t pose the same threat.
- Longer duration. Although vaping provides the highest bioavailability of all consumption methods, its effects are relatively short-lived. In contrast, CBD edibles can last for 8 to 12 hours, which makes them better for patients who want long-acting relief for their symptoms.
- Discreet. Much like any food, you can take CBD edibles without turning heads. Edibles don’t produce the pungent aromas associated with cannabis smoke. This may be helpful if you use CBD for medical purposes, and need to take your dose while at work.
- Accessible. You can easily make CBD edibles at home. Making your own vapes and CBD oils is more difficult and time-consuming, giving CBD an upper hand in this clash.
Potential Side Effects of CBD Edibles
According to a 2017 review of the safety profile of CBD, large doses can lead to the following side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in weight
CBD is also a potent inhibitor of CYP450, which is a group of enzymes that metabolize around 60% of pharmaceutical medications. Taking CBD with certain drugs can alter their effects by compromising the liver’s ability to break them down. This can lead to either a subtherapeutic effect or drug toxicity depending on the type of interaction.
If you take any medications and are concerned that CBD could interact with them, consult your doctor before buying CBD edibles online. A qualified medical professional will help you gauge the right timing for both substances to avoid negative interactions.
Key Takeaways on the Metabolism of CBD Edibles
CBD edibles are a fun and convenient way to experience the benefits of CBD.
When you take edibles, you don’t need to worry about washing your mouth with lots of water to get rid of that earthy aftertaste that comes with taking CBD oil.
CBD edibles are also more discreet and easier to dose because you know exactly how much CBD is in each serving.
Although they need more time to kick in than CBD oils or vapes, these effects are extended in time, lasting up to 12 hours. If you’re looking for long-lasting relief from your symptoms — or you just want to take CBD once or twice a day — edibles are the best bet.
Just make sure to consult a doctor before buying CBD edibles if you take any medications. A consultation with a holistic practitioner will help you with finding the right dose and avoid CBD-drug interactions.
Do you take CBD edibles? How long does it take for you to notice the first effects? Leave us a comment below!
1. Iffland, K., & Grotenhermen, F. (2017). An Update on Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol: A Review of Clinical Data and Relevant Animal Studies. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 2(1), 139–154. (1)
Nina created CFAH.org following the birth of her second child. She was a science and math teacher for 6 years prior to becoming a parent — teaching in schools in White Plains, New York and later in Paterson, New Jersey.