Make sure you learn the best techniques to save you in your time of greatest need. You never know when you might need a backup bong. Luckily, it’s easier to make than you think!
You can also make a screen from a paperclip or a similar piece of stiff wire. Bend the wire into a spiral and position it snugly in the bowl. This can work as a halfway-decent screen that keeps larger chunks of ash and weed in your pipe.
You can customise things further by changing the type and quantity of fruit. Essentially, anything will work as long as you can build an airflow system like with the apple. You can even stack vegetables and fruit together to build a larger and tastier bong. You might even be able to add water if you use a pineapple, for example. Or, try doing it with a coconut and use its natural water! For this, you would stick a hollow tube through the side, carve out the top and pull from there. Surely sounds delicious.
Steel screens are often used in silicone bongs and acrylic bongs, although the latter can easily be scratched with these screens. They work just like brass screens, and there is no difference in taste. In fact, aside from their colour, the main difference between these two materials is that steel is more durable.
Nonetheless, the factors mentioned don’t include “high.” That’s because, technically, you’ll be consuming the same amount of THC if you’re using the same quantity of the same marijuana flower. Even if not the most pleasant, these stoner MacGyver techniques will surely be effective. Just use them wisely.
Glass pipe screens are normally made from a special, heavy-duty type of glass called borosilicate. This heat-resistant type of glass won’t crack from changes in temperature, and won’t shatter as easily as regular glassware. Obviously, screens made from glass are not flexible, so you can’t cut them to size. As such, you need to make sure you get the right size for your bowl. As glass doesn’t wear out, these screens can, in principle, last forever; that is, if you don’t break or lose them.
Because steel screens are not as malleable as brass, fitting them into odd-shaped bowls can be a little more finicky.
Let’s first make it clear that the following methods should only be used as last resorts. If you can go out and buy yourself a glass piece, do that. These aren’t materials traditionally used to smoke weed. A proper bong or pipe will always do your bud more justice. The flavour, the burn, and the smoothness will all be better from an object specially made with these factors in mind.
A tried and true method is to take a piece of aluminium foil and poke some holes into it with a toothpick. Form the foil into a suitable-sized screen, and place it into the bowl just like you would an ordinary screen. No worries, the aluminium foil won’t melt when you’re smoking. That said, such a DIY screen may only last one or two sessions before losing its integrity.
It's 3am and you finally finished that paper. There's not a place open and you still want that smoke before bed. We have the solution for you!
- Create and fill the bowl. Fashion a bowl using an aluminum foil. Poke three small holes at the bottom to allow airflow. Then, fill it with herbs and set aside.
- Make the carb. Poke a small hole at the bottom of the bottle. Make sure that it is big enough to allow water to flow through it but small enough to cover with a finger.
- Fill the bottle with water. With a finger covering the carb hole, fill the bottle with water up to just a few centimeters from the top.
- Fill with smoke. Attach the bowl over the bottle neck opening. Light the herbs and let go of the carb hole. The negative pressure created by escaping water draws in the smoke.
- Begin smoking. One the smoke-filled bottle is empty of water, cover the carb hole again. Remove the bowl and place the mouth over the opening. Let go of the carb hole again and inhale the smoke.
The water bottle bong employs the same techniques and principles as the tic tac bong. This homemade pipe, however, cannot be used for a long time because the heat of the smoke may melt the plastic over time. It is only good for emergency smoking sessions or for traveling outdoors.
Compared to other homemade pipes, the liquor bottle bong is one of the more difficult and costlier ones to make. It requires a specialized drill that can bore a hole through the glass and an already existing glass bong stem. Once created, it can be used for a long time making it one of the longest lasting DIY pipes.
- Prepare the downstem. Remove the casing of the ball-point pen until only an empty tube is left.
- Attach the downstem to the bottle. Using scissors, make a small hole to allow it to be fixed to the water bottle. Then, insert the tube at an angle that will enable it to point upward.
- Make the bowl. There are two options. (1) The cone-shaped tip of the ball-point pen could be used to hold the cannabis. (2) Fashion a bowl using aluminum foil and then poking three holes at the bottom.
- Make a carb. Poke a small hole at the bottom part of the bottle. This will act as the carb hole.
- Begin smoking. Pack the bowl lightly with dried herbs then use as a regular pipe. The bottle’s opening at the top will serve as the mouthpiece.
“If there is a will, there is a way.” For as long as there is the desire, or the need to use cannabis, there are limitless ways to fashion a homemade pipe.