Jilly Bean is a 60% sativa-dominant hybrid cannabis strain that’s known to create an uplifting and positive mood. It is perfect for daytime use because of its energizing effects. Jilly Bean has about 18% THC and can also help with focus. It is also known for its floral aromas, which are associated with linalool. Jilly Bean helps to alleviate depression through a stimulating effect.
Amnesia Haze is a cannabis sativa strain known for its uplifting and energy-creating effects. It’s known to reduce stress and relax the mind. Amnesia Haze has a citrusy sent, which is associated with the presence of limonene, which helps add to its anti-depressant qualities. Amnesia Haze also helps with fatigue and migraines.
Blue Dream is a 60% sativa-dominant marijuana hybrid. It has levels of THC that range from 17-24% and is known for its ability to relieve tension while still providing uplifting effects. Blue Dream also contains linalool and limonene, both which are terpenes that are known to help alleviate symptoms of depression. Blue Dream is also known to provide mental alertness.
Another study conducted by the University Medical Center, Utrecht in the Netherlands also found that THC could alter a person’s response to negative images or emotions. This response was due to how the ECS activates the cannabinoid receptors in the brain.
A 2007 study from McGill University in Montreal, Canada found that tetrahydrocannbinol (THC) can serve as an anti-depressant. Dr. Gabriella Gobbi of McGill University was encouraged to conduct the study after she had seen anecdotal evidence that cannabis could help reduce depressive symptoms.
Linalool, which is a terpene known for its floral aroma, is known to be especially helpful with mental conditions. Linalool, which is also found in plants like mint and cinnamon, can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
Limonene, which is the second most common terpene found in cannabis, is known for its citrus scent and flavor. Limonene is known to relieve both depression and anxiety, though it can also help stimulate the immune system, alleviate gastrointestinal issues, and fight tumors and infections.
“As a psychiatrist, I noticed that several of my patients suffering from depression used to smoke cannabis,” Dr. Gobbi said. “And in the scientific literature, we had some evidence that people treated with cannabis for multiple sclerosis or AIDS showed a big improvement in mood disorders. But there were no laboratory studies demonstrating the anti-depressant mechanism of action of cannabis.”
The study, which gave rat models a synthetic form of THC, found that THC stimulated the production of serotonin. Serotonin helps reduce depression naturally, which means that medical marijuana could help reduce peoples’ need for anti-depressants. The study, however, did find that cannabis could have adverse effects and worsen depression symptoms at higher doses.
Depression can mean different things to different people—it can be something folks struggle with for years, it can be felt strongest during the dark and cold winter months, it can be present only after a woman gives birth, it can be part of a person’s diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder or anxiety. The numbers
Strains high in CBD–a ratio of 1:1 with THC is generally considered beneficial–are less likely to cause anxiety. There are even specialty strains focused on individual symptoms of depression, such as a loss of appetite, insomnia, or a lack of motivation and interest in hobbies and activities.
Updated on January 21, 2020. Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
The mechanism for marijuana’s mood-stabilizing effects isn’t fully understood. What we do know is that marijuana is rich in cannabinoids and terpenes, which offer myriad health benefits ranging from relaxation, to focus, to tension relief, all which can improve mood and affect.
Overall though, to treat anxiety and depression, the following famously mood-altering strains are a great place to start:
All of these strains can help lift the fog of depression by improving mood, easing anxiety, and boosting energy. To try cannabis for depression, seek professional medical advice to ensure you’re using the right strain, and ingestion method, for you.
Limonene’s sweet citrus smell, found in strains like Harlequin, Jack Herer, and Dirty Girl, stimulates the olfactory and endocannabinoid systems, increasing serotonin and dopamine levels in regions of the brain associated with anxiety, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), as shown in lab rats. In a small human study, 9 out of 12 depressed patients treated with limonene showed improved stress hormone levels and immune function, and were able to reduce their antidepressant medication use.
Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 10/17/2019 in Medical Marijuana
- Jack Herer: Cherished for inspiring happiness, creativity, and focus, this sativa is a classic choice for easing anxiety and depression.
- Harlequin: Features a 1:1 THC-to-CBD ratio, widely viewed as having a calming and therapeutic effect.
- Girl Scout Cookies (GSC): This numerous Cannabis Cup-winning hybrid offers a strong dose of pain and nausea relief, appetite-boosting powers, and positive vibes.
- Granddaddy Purple: Like most indicas, this strain can combat pain, stress, insomnia, appetite loss, and tension.
- Sour Diesel: This sativa is noted for its ability to improve mood, boost energy, and heighten creativity.
- Lamb’s Bread: Known for its happy, creative, and uplifting effects, this strain can help ease depression by boosting energy and promoting positive introspection.
- Pineapple Express: This hybrid takes you to your “happy” place with a fruity profile that inspires energy and bliss.
- Northern Lights: This pure indica strain relieves pain and sleeplessness with a blissful, comfortable euphoria, relaxing muscles and pacifying the mind.
- Harlequin: This sativa-dominant strain’s high CBD content counteracts THC’s anxiety-producing effects while amplifying its painkilling power.
- XJ-13: With its uplifting citrusy aroma, this lightweight sativa-dominant hybrid leaves users clear-headed enough for daytime use, while relieving stress and anxiety.
- Lavender: An indica with a calming, lavender aroma, this strain balances cerebral bliss and physical relaxation.
- Cannatonic: A sativa that offers a blissed-out feel, without the anxiety associated with THC, alongside CBD to heighten mood and mental clarity.
- Sour Tsunami: A hybrid with a high CBD content, this strain is a great option for anxiety-prone individuals and those who are particularly sensitive to THC.
Home / Blog / Best Marijuana Strains for Depression
Marijuana is rich in cannabinoids and terpenes, which offer myriad health benefits ranging from relaxation, focus, and tension relief.