From left to right: 73 Micron, 160 Micron and 220 Micron Dry Ice Hash
Making hash with dry ice is the easiest, fastest, and (more importantly) the most efficient means of extracting resin from your cannabis. In short, it’s our collective opinion (all 2 of us) that Dry Ice Hash is the best means of making hash…period!
We’ll be showing you how to make dry ice hash using hash bags of the following sizes: 73, 160, and 220. Here’s why we picked these sizes:
This is the 220 Micron dry ice hash
Keep in mind that not all hash is the same. Some types of hash are made with solvents and can still contain said solvents when finished. BHO (Butane Hash Oil) has become very popular lately, but there have also been many cases where batches still contain significant levels of butane. That’s not to say that BHO always contains excess butane, just that it has the possibility. When hash or hash oil is made correctly, no trace of solvents should remain in the finished product.
That being said, using dry ice to extract resin will leave you with nothing but the resin itself because it is solventless. The CO2 is used to freeze off the resin, and then turns directly into gas. Your trim/bud never even gets wet! So you can make hash using this method without any additional concern other than careful handling and usage of the dry ice.
Here’s another pertinent piece of info from the book Hashish!,
Although many methods produce the same or a similar product, using dry ice has advantages in many areas that end up making it superior to other means of resin collection:
- Dump your (ground up) cannabis and dry ice into the 5-gallon bucket.
- Take the size 73 hash/bubble/pollen bag and fit it over the opening of the bucket, then shake and swirl the bucket around for 3-4 minutes. The process of shaking the cannabis around with dry ice freezes the resin so it starts breaking off from the cannabis and is more easily collected.
- Turn the bucket upside-down, emptying both the dry ice and cannabis into the hash bag, with the mesh side facing down.
- Shake the bag over a clean flat surface.This will cause resin to sift through the mesh part of the bag and fall out onto the surface like it’s raining resin! Keep shaking until you don’t see any resin falling out or you just can’t shake anymore 🙂
- Use your scraper to collect the newly fallen resin into a pile and transfer it into a container of your choice.
- Dump the cannabis and dry ice back into the bucket and repeat steps 2-5 with the size 160 pollen bag. Then again with the 220 bag.
How To Make Dry Ice Hash from Buds/Trim Let’s get straight to it: Making hash with dry ice is the easiest, fastest, and (more importantly) the most efficient means of extracting resin